Englewood, located seven miles south of Chicago’s Loop, is a community rich in history, strong in character and rising again.
Founded in 1852 as Junction Grove, with the intersection of multiple railroad at the heart of the community, Englewood became part of Chicago in 1889. By 1922, it was home to more than 86,000 people with thousands of trains each day to its 63rd and Halsted shopping district - the second-busiest in the city.
During the 1960s and 1970s, the community lost more than 30,000 residents, and by 1990, 43 percent of Englewood residents lived below the poverty line as unemployment hovered around 26 percent. Our community has its share of challenges, but we believe Englewood is poised for a renaissance.
An ambitious $256 million revitalization plan that began in 1999 includes construction of commercial and residential properties, as well as more parks and infrastructure improvements. In 2008, the new Kennedy-King College opened at 63rd and Halsted, followed by a new police station in 2009. Investment is returning to Englewood. Community pride is strong and the residents and businesses are committed.
We are excited about the potential of our community, and with our partners, we hope to lead the way toward that brighter future.